Pages


Thursday, October 18, 2012

Who Writes This Stuff?

      Life's been crazy lately. Not your typical busy schedule crazy,  but off the wall crazy. No matter how many times I pinch myself  and cry uncle, this low budget horror flick drags on. There is no pausing it, no recasting, and Lord knows, there are no retakes.

     For whatever reason, I have assumed the role of director. Odd, since I have no experience in this arena. I march over to the writers and throw the script in the air. "What kind of trash is this!?!" I demand. "I never approved this!"


     But there is no answer. My tantrum produces nothing. Paper lies scattered all over the floor, but no one cowers before me, sorry for writing such junk. No apologies, no promise to write something better; silence is the only reply.

     I try firing cast members and holding new auditions, but the current actors don't budge. No one shows up to the auditions, and so I am stuck with all of the same people in my life.

     The same script, actors, and plot......stuck. What to do? I think I will hit my knees, and pray with all of my might. This mess is far bigger than anything I can handle on my own.

     As I contemplate the thickening plot of life, wondering how events unfold the way they do, I remember how much God has already brought me through.

     My husband interrupts my daydreaming with, "Are you okay?"

     "I am just stressed," I reply. "There's just a lot going on right now."

     "Isn't God still in control?" He asks me. "He took care of Joey and Tim in the wreck, and He is taking care of this other stuff too."

     God is in control, and I know it. When life feels haywire, I struggle to take charge of the situation. Helplessness is not a pleasant feeling. Not knowing what lies around the next corner frightens me a bit.

     It's easier if we can plan ahead, or at least see what's coming. So, while life seems to unravel around me, I will remember that God knows what He's doing even when I can't make sense of it. Reminding myself of that often in the upcoming days and weeks will be absolutely necessary to maintain some level of functioning and sanity.

     "We count those blessed who endured. You have heard of the endurance of Job and have seen the outcome of the Lord's dealings, that the Lord is full of compassion and is merciful." ~James 5:11

     What do you do when life is overwhelming?

2 comments:

  1. I buy a box of wine! Umm, at least, before I was pregnant that's what I did. :p

    Life is pretty overwhelming for me too sometimes. What I have found myself doing is repeating a few phrases over and over again in my head depending on the day and situation: "I trust you." "Thank you." "Renew my heart." And then I eat chocolate and watch Grey's Anatomy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Jess! I find it difficult trying to maintain my sanity during stressful situations; frequent, short prayers help a lot. So does chocolate and zoning out in front of a screen :)

    ReplyDelete