Pages


Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Free Self Defense Class

     Am I qualified to offer these? Definitely. I have a black belt in self defense. I defend myself against all kinds of pain and sorrow on a daily basis. It's taken me an entire lifetime to hone these skills, and though the process is not impenetrable, you too can shield your heart from the hurts of this earth. However, if you are looking for Martial Arts classes, this is the wrong web address.

Martial Arts over water~safer than attempting on land
     The heart and the brain work together during tragedy to shield us from damage and prevent further traumas from harming us. This begins in childhood and continues into our adult lives. It is one of the miraculous ways that our Maker designed us to self protect. We can even forget our traumas (repressed memories) and remember them later in life when our adult selves are better able to maturely process our pain.

     Thing is.....I like it. I like that I can escape not only some of my own pain, but also the pain of others. Here are some ways we might help along the guarding of our hearts:

  1.  When confronted with the pain of others, try to love them through it without becoming emotionally involved. Though they may feel the shallowness and lack of heart, you will be safe from experiencing their pain.
  2.  Avoid situations in which you may be sucked into experiencing their pain by getting too close relationally. 
  3.  Occupy yourself with every distraction possible, so that you don't have much time to put yourself in the shoes of the hurting.
     While this is certainly not an exhaustive list, these are some of the things I have done to shield myself from the suffering of others. I struggle with the desire to block pain from getting in, while holding my hand out in the love of Christ. It does not work the way God intended. Unless we are willing to take off the body armor and feel the hurts of others, there is no true communication of the gospel we claim to follow.

     I have been working on this. I know that God has put me in situations he knows I relate to and can be helpful with. I dislike the reminders of my own hurts from long ago, though the pain lessens each time I experience it. I feel like my body armor is loosening, and I have a white knuckled hold on it. Now if God will just help me to put it down, so that my effectiveness in ministry improves.

 
  Matthew 26:35-36,40 "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.....I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."



    Do you ever try to avoid some situations because of the pain involved? Is the empathy you feel for the hurting ever overwhelming?


   

No comments:

Post a Comment