My husband and I are teaching through Max Lucado's Max on Life. It's a great book of life questions and Max's responses to those questions. Last night, we tackled "Who is God?" for the JR High Youth Group lesson.
These are Max Lucado's main points.
- God is unchanging (Heb. 6:17-18)
- God is unparalleled (Isa. 40:13-14)
- God is ungoverned (1 Tim. 6:15-16)
- God is untouched (1 Sam 2:2)
- God is uncaused (Ps 90:1-2)
- God is unlimited (Ps 147: 4-5)
We discussed these points, adding a short discussion about a creator who put so much care into his creation. and we have talked about how difficult it is to wrap our human minds around these characteristics.
While these are great points, and each is valid, I wanted to make the lesson more personal for them. I shared who God has been to me:
- Best secret keeper ever (Ps. 44:21). You can tell God anything and everything, and He never runs around blabbing your secrets all over school.
- My best friend....sometimes my only friend (Prov. 18: 24). I talked to God when there was no one else I wanted to talk to (ha ha....see above). I told him my feelings, my fears, my anger, everything. So can you. He is trustworthy.
- My comforter when I am scared or upset. My protector (Prov. 2: 7-8). The measure of comfort I received from my Heavenly Father is almost unbelievable. His hand in my life and protection He provides is undeniable.
- Because of God's power in our lives, my husband and I are still married. God has absolutely provided intense healing for our marriage and relationship.
Ps. 68: 5-6 declares "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun scorched land.
Ps. 27: 10 "Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me."
In short, there is no greater advocate for the poor, broken, outcast. No other being would ever be found with the ability to change lives so completely from the inside out. None would be found with such a compassionate heart for those hurting and in need.
I could have spoken for hours on the topic and not even begun to scratch the surface of who God is. We encourage them to get into their Bibles and research more, to get to know God for themselves.
Who has God been for you?